February 14, 2016

color of the day - blood-red

Today I dyed some raw wool locks. I haven't found the perfect way of dyeing raw wool yet. If I use undyed raw wool for felting, I don't bother washing it beforehand, because all the dirt goes away during the felting process. When it comes to dyeing I don't want to throw the dirty wool into the pot. So I try to wash them with as little friction as possible, and without soap, so they don't felt together. I do so, by soaking them in water for about 12-24 hours, slowly stirring every few hours. This gets off most of the dirt, but still not all of it. To get out the excess water I put it into a spin-dryer afterwards. Red in all it's different shades is my favorite color at the moment. I wonder if there is a deeper meaning to it?


old polaroid, hand dyed raw locks

No comments:

Post a Comment